Reading List

Here is the list of University of Washington Libraries materials highlighted in the 'We Are Not Humanity' Focus On... exhibit, in January & February, 2010.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Invocation

And all is seeking death
Death to the normal, the ritual sameness
Of the every day
Death to the tranquility of the no-disruptive-pleasure

I wake from dreams in which I cannot breathe
I cannot breathe from choking on what is requisite
On what is needed, what is there
And I cannot have

I fear I may no longer be content with
I did the best I could
I fear the time comes when my best is no longer enough
I must do better
I must somehow do less

All is seeking death
The vessel longs to be broken
All longs to be spilt upon the earth
To seek the lower places, the lowest
Where gravity calls

If the picture were to be painted
Purple would prevail and dark violet
And the deep red of fresh blood just released
What scarlet could would find itself
Splattered in bright rosettes
Blurred beyond its edges
Undefined
Remnant

I am not Death come to free you
You have lived the nightmare of freedom for too long
I am come now to bind you up
To embrace you, to hold you fast
I am come to you now of necessity
Of yours
Of mine
Of ours

I am the divine
What is holy, fecund and pure
I am your one and only redemption
Your little life always and ever has been mine
I always have held it safely entwined
Bound in the webby stream
Held in cloud droplets
In the color that reaches the eye
In the tang and taste of molding leaf and worm

I am the rhythm, the rhyme and verse
The insect song and leafy chime
And beyond the blue and black to star
And thought subsiding and rising
And sinew clasping bone
I am and all that is
Come dancing
Round me dancing
Joy dancing
Home

Adam C. Hall
July 5, 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment