Reading List

Here is the list of University of Washington Libraries materials highlighted in the 'We Are Not Humanity' Focus On... exhibit, in January & February, 2010.

Monday, February 8, 2010

Asking the Right Questions

In Kay's comment to the last blog entry, she asked, "Where do we go from here?"

When I have conversations with people about all this, it's not unusual for this question to be asked; and I generally beg the question.  I don't know what you need to do next.  In most ways I don't even know what I need to do next.  I seem to be pretty good at asking, raising, formulating the questions.  I don't think of myself as being much of answer guy.

For me, my own life is so full of what seem to be contradictions, that at times, I can barely stand the seeming hypocrisy of even keeping this blog going, keeping the conversations going.  Like most of us, I'm 'on the grid' for almost everything:
  1. I have a job for which I work 40+ hours per week
  2. My paycheck goes directly into my checking account
  3. I use that money to buy food, water, shelter, heat, electricity, an automobile, gas, bus transportation, medical care, entertainment, telephone, insurance (there's an odd one), someone to pick up my garbage and recycling
Where in all that am I not reliant on some other corporate entity, even if it's governmental?

What I mean by 'on the grid' is all the different ways in which I work just to make enough money to buy the things I either need or want.  I don't supply any of my own electricity.  I don't really know where my water comes from nor the natural gas that heats the house I live in.  I live far enough away from the job that pays me my salary, that I have to rely on someone to get me back and forth from there to where I live.  I don't grow any of my own food and probably never could grow enough, even if I were more ambitious in this regard than I am.

In all honesty, even as much as I enjoy my job, if asked what I do for a living, I'd have to say, 'I make money.'

 You see where I'm going with this.  How much are any of us able to step off the grid, stop relying on the corporate entities for what we need?  This seems to me to be the most consequential thing any of us can do...that and of course INSPIRE DOUBT IN OTHERS!

No comments:

Post a Comment