Mark is a co-worker here at the library, someone with whom I've had many conversations that would feel right at home in this blog. He helped with exhibit that spawned this blog; he helped to conceptualize it. Mark is assiduous in his attention to detail and in his love for getting it 'right.' In keeping with all that, he was helping someone who had inquired about the poster of various quotes that were part of the exhibit. Here is his email about his work on preparing those quotes for that person and a link to the wonderful results of his work.
I added more details to the quotations to indicate their exact source when possible. There are two major corrections. Gary Snyder's poem is widely misquoted so I journeyed to the source (we have a copy of Songs for Gaia in Special Collections). I have provided the correct wording and formatting. Also, the quotation widely attributed to Theodore Roszak about technology destroying human community is actually taken from the book, The Sibling Society, by Robert Bly.
A patron had stopped by the information desk and requested copies of the quotations about a month ago. That inspired me to compile them together on one sheet and to find their sources before sending them on. It was a task that gave me great pleasure, as it allowed me to further ponder their original contexts and their meanings. Here's an excerpt from the email I sent to the patron referring to our discussions of the quotations: "I hope you enjoy revisiting these thought-provoking quotations. We have enjoyed exploring their meanings and resonances, even though many of them are sobering and heart-breaking."
Thanks again to you, Adam, for choreographing the images and thoughts in the exhibit posters. If one has an appetite for the truth and desires real food for thought, these quotations are nutritious morsels of reality!
----------------- Mark
No comments:
Post a Comment