How many of you...raise your hands...how many of you expect 'nature' to take care of the human problem on the planet (I'm assuming, of course, the you also think there is a human problem and know what I mean by that)? How many of you expect that something dramatic, which is beyond direct human-doing, is going to happen that will greatly disrupt the normalcy of life on the planet?
I ask because I'm wondering how prevalent this particular fantasy is. Is it emerging newly in our culture? Is it truly something different, or is it a variation on the salvation mythologem so prominent in this human culture? Is it possibly something in the genes that's coming forward, or something in the collective unconscious.
Collectively we're an odd occurrence. One of the primary memes in our culture is the fear of death; yet from the moment our ancestors set our feet on this path now coming to it's inevitable end, we have been slowly committing both our own and other living beings' lives to a juggernaut toward extinction. We embrace death as a beloved enemy.
So what meaning does it have that some part of some of us longs for 'nature's' intervention, even if it means that many, many of us will surely die?
I'm not sure I'm asking the right questions or asking these questions rightly, but I am sure there's something there.
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
No comments:
Post a Comment